updating ProgDVB

In the past I've always made a clean install of ProgDVB whenever a new version is released. I was wondering what most people do? Is it OK to install a new version on top of the last version and should you expect it to work without rescanning and reconfiguration?

Thanks

...partly :?

The installer (over?)writes some entries into the ProgDVB.ini

To avoid any trouble and always be able to step back, I am installing each and every new version into a new folder, named like the version.
Them I'm making a full safety copy of the working version, to another folder with the momentary version in it's name.
After that I only copy the modified components of the new version over the working version, to update it.
This way I don't interfere with any codec or similar issues.

And still I have all earlier versions usable.

Record folders of course are set to other folders / drives, since the very beginning.

The uninstall routine of course leads to the last (full) install target folder, but that's completely unimportant.
If I would want to remove a ProgDVB versioin, I'd just delete the folder structure.

The filter registration puts some entries into HKCR.
DLL references are to be found in HKLM.
MS Win itself puts in and in case removes a Direct3D related entry, plus one for DirectDraw, to HKLM.

Exactly one uninstall entry is found at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ProgDVB

The installer enters one more set of entries at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wise Solutions\Wise Installation System\Repair

And the start menue entry is found at
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\&Programs\ProgDVB

So, it's not a big deal, to search the windows registry for ProgDVB, if one réally has to clean up completely.

And no problem at all, to have a multitude of ProgDVB installations in separate folders.
Just counted, 70 complete versions here ATM, 1.11 GB of HD space, around 1.5 GB including file system overhead...

Of course there's no need, to reinstall all codecs or set up more graphs.

One more for the road, sometimes there are changes to the channel list data base structure, this for, occasionally the lists aren't compatible, up or down. So, I had to start the channels folder system from scrap three times over the years, if I remember well.
In most cases, the old channel base can be re-used for the next version.

Same goes with ini files, for the whole config stuff.
My signature:

Please read here:
On Bug Reports And Other Complaints
and there:
BOARD RULES - READ THIS!

I don't give support by e-mail or PM.

And I will never assist on PayTV hacking.
PM ME FOR THIS AND YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY, WITHOUT ANY WARNING!!!

NEVER EVER DARE TO CONTACT ME FOR PRO VERSION ISSUES!
I am not responsible for that.
Check the 'Activation' section.

Please keep it in English here, or Russian in the Russian section, or German in the German section.

I don't read nor write Klingonian or any other language than English and German.
Addressing me personally in any exotic language will be treated as severe insulting! Be warned!!!

1.)AMD Phenom II x4 940, GA-MA770-UD3, 8 GB DDR2-6400. 7 Pro SP1 x64 + XP Pro SP3 x86
DVB-S2: Cynergy S2 USB HD
2.)P4 3200 i865G (F-S Scenic W600pwr) XP Pro SP3
DVB-S: hauppauge WinTV Nexus-S rev. 2.2, driver TT 2.19h, hardware mode

19.2°,13°,28.x°E,30°W, DiSEqC 1.0

Auf Deutsch:
DVB-Cube <<< Das deutsche DVB-Forum >>>

Borrow that device file from the older version.
Not guaranteed to work, but worth a try.
My signature:

Please read here:
On Bug Reports And Other Complaints
and there:
BOARD RULES - READ THIS!

I don't give support by e-mail or PM.

And I will never assist on PayTV hacking.
PM ME FOR THIS AND YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY, WITHOUT ANY WARNING!!!

NEVER EVER DARE TO CONTACT ME FOR PRO VERSION ISSUES!
I am not responsible for that.
Check the 'Activation' section.

Please keep it in English here, or Russian in the Russian section, or German in the German section.

I don't read nor write Klingonian or any other language than English and German.
Addressing me personally in any exotic language will be treated as severe insulting! Be warned!!!

1.)AMD Phenom II x4 940, GA-MA770-UD3, 8 GB DDR2-6400. 7 Pro SP1 x64 + XP Pro SP3 x86
DVB-S2: Cynergy S2 USB HD
2.)P4 3200 i865G (F-S Scenic W600pwr) XP Pro SP3
DVB-S: hauppauge WinTV Nexus-S rev. 2.2, driver TT 2.19h, hardware mode

19.2°,13°,28.x°E,30°W, DiSEqC 1.0

Auf Deutsch:
DVB-Cube <<< Das deutsche DVB-Forum >>>

Re: updating ProgDVB

farsider wrote:In the past I've always made a clean install of ProgDVB whenever a new version is released. I was wondering what most people do? Is it OK to install a new version on top of the last version and should you expect it to work without rescanning and reconfiguration?

Thanks

Hi
I'm butchdern.
Greetings to all members and staff of this forum.
Good to be here.

Juergen wrote:...partly :?

To avoid any trouble and always be able to step back, I am installing each and every new version into a new folder, named like the version.
Them I'm making a full safety copy of the working version, to another folder with the momentary version in it's name.
After that I only copy the modified components of the new version over the working version, to update it.
This way I don't interfere with any codec or similar issues.
I thought installing to different versions to different folders cause codec problems.
And never did this.
But after updating from 4.7xx version to 4.8xx version I can't do record multiple audio streams and subtitles from progdvb and can't roll it back.
Too bad cause I am a student in french literature and it was really helpful for me learning french by watching from TPS.
I could have done that solution Juergen offers.

I like the idea of installing new versions and keeping the old ones, too. But, I've got a question about doing so. Right now I have my working ProgDVB v. 4.62.6 in a folder at C:\ProgDVB. Which leads me to this question, can I simply change the name of that folder to ProgDVB 4.62.6 now or do I have to uninstall it first and then reinstall it into a folder with that name? Thanks.

Hi , simply change the name of that folder to ProgDVB 4.62.6....

but if you have installed e.g. relict epg you have to change the path in relictEPG.ini in \progdvb\epg

And if you use elecard codec you must go in \progdvb\filters and doubleclick the ´register.bat´ again...