About recording options.

Hi all. I am a new user of ProgDVB (SkyStar HD) and obviously I have some questions to ask. First of all, I am interested in recording. I see that the available options of ProgDVB are too restrticted: Only if you want to capture in mpeg or pva, with same quality in both cases...

I am not sure if this is only for analog sources, but I would like to choose my own video and audio codecs and capture in avi (even in lossless mode). Is that or something like that possible? Now I see that I can capture only in a particular resolution, using mpeg-2 codec for video and mp3 for audio. Basically, I would like to capture in a lossless mode in the first stage and then I would compress in x264, vorbis, matroska etc. Are there such options in ProgDVB? If not, is there any other software with more options for recording? Thanks.

ProgDVB. like other DVB applications, records the streams exactly the way they are transmitted, no transcoding of any kind.
.PVA and .MPG formats are just slightly different file containers for the streams, first one basically introduced by TechnoTrend years ago, very close to SS1 / premium cards' hardware routines, but not play compatible with general media players.
This for .MPG was introduced, that's more compatible, though still not perfect without remuxing or some other post processsing.
One issue, recordings' time codes don't start at zero. Second, file headers can't include true data rate, as video is VBR and only a calculation after record end can give a true result. That's just two out of a bunch of issues...

.MPG container generating is a software routine these days, so differences may exist between software type and versions.

If you (think to) need reral time conversion, that must be done externally.
Should be possible, to connect to some media server, perhaps by some special graph, resp. use of the internal media streaming server or alike.

Keep in mind, real time transcoding would need extremely high CPU power.

However, that whole subject is not ProgDVB related dirtectly,

BTW, ProgDVB, like other DVB soft, won't handle any analogue sources.
My signature:

Please read here:
On Bug Reports And Other Complaints
and there:
BOARD RULES - READ THIS!

I don't give support by e-mail or PM.

And I will never assist on PayTV hacking.
PM ME FOR THIS AND YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY, WITHOUT ANY WARNING!!!

NEVER EVER DARE TO CONTACT ME FOR PRO VERSION ISSUES!
I am not responsible for that.
Check the 'Activation' section.

Please keep it in English here, or Russian in the Russian section, or German in the German section.

I don't read nor write Klingonian or any other language than English and German.
Addressing me personally in any exotic language will be treated as severe insulting! Be warned!!!

1.)AMD Phenom II x4 940, GA-MA770-UD3, 8 GB DDR2-6400. 7 Pro SP1 x64 + XP Pro SP3 x86
DVB-S2: Cynergy S2 USB HD
2.)P4 3200 i865G (F-S Scenic W600pwr) XP Pro SP3
DVB-S: hauppauge WinTV Nexus-S rev. 2.2, driver TT 2.19h, hardware mode

19.2°,13°,28.x°E,30°W, DiSEqC 1.0

Auf Deutsch:
DVB-Cube <<< Das deutsche DVB-Forum >>>

Hi all and thank you for your answers!
mpeg2 is lossless mode for digital TV
Yes, I had thought that maybe what I was asking has to do only with analogue sources. But how you explain that 1 minute of recording with "Technisat TV Center" produces a file of 30 MB and with ProgDVB only 15 MB? Is there any difference in quality?
ProgDVB. like other DVB applications, records the streams exactly the way they are transmitted, no transcoding of any kind.
Do you mean that ProgDVB "receives" or "copies" the video and audio streams exactly as they are being sent and it just selects a container to store them? In other words, it maintains the original resolution, bitrate, codecs etc?
but not play compatible with general media players.
Yes, I can verify that... I tried to capture in pva and I ascertained that the resulting file could not be played in any player (including VLC)! I downloaded the RadLight's pva splitter, but despite the full graph in GraphEdit, I was having a distorted image in my playback. Possibly the problem is in the DirectShow splitter? I don't know...
though still not perfect without remuxing or some other post processsing.
I am going to re-mux with MKVToolnix, because I think that matroska is by far the best file container. But I need smaller filesizes, so I will compress a little. I hope that the resulting file will be OK. BTW, how you compress an audio stream of MP3 @128 Kbps? What will be the quality of the final result if I select eg Vorbis @64 Kbps?
I am not interested in real-time transcoding. I want the best possible capture (regardless of the filesize) in the first step and in a second step I want to compress in the way I want (codecs, bitrates etc), like I was doing with my analogue TV captures.
I know that. I never said or asked something like that.

harriscs wrote:
mpeg2 is lossless mode for digital TV
Yes, I had thought that maybe what I was asking has to do only with analogue sources. (/quote]Maybe you're refering to Huffyuv lossless codec, that exists on most windows systems.
In short, NO.
That's not, what we're talking about.
DVB transmissions always are effecitvely but also lossy compressed.
Video standard is MPEG2, for normal SDTV.

But SiLencer talked about lossless recording.
That indeed means, streams are simply copied into a file container, nothing but that.
harriscs wrote:But how you explain that 1 minute of recording with "Technisat TV Center" produces a file of 30 MB and with ProgDVB only 15 MB? Is there any difference in quality?
Not between the DVB applications, but simply between stations and transmissions.

Stations have to pay for bandwidth.

Providers decide, how many stations to squeeze trough a limited transponder data rate at a time.
Video streams are coded at variable bit rates.
Those depend on content complexity - (semi)automatically shifting rssources between stations on the same transponder on uplink multiplexing - and a preselected priority between those.
harriscs wrote:Do you mean that ProgDVB "receives" or "copies" the video and audio streams exactly as they are being sent and it just selects a container to store them? In other words, it maintains the original resolution, bitrate, codecs etc?
Exactly.
But providers / uplinkers normally use professional hardware codecs, not to be compared with what's available for us.
harriscs wrote:
but not play compatible with general media players.
Yes, I can verify that... I tried to capture in pva and I ascertained that the resulting file could not be played in any player (including VLC)! I downloaded the RadLight's pva splitter, but despite the full graph in GraphEdit, I was having a distorted image in my playback. Possibly the problem is in the DirectShow splitter? I don't know...
Try PVAStrumento or ProjectX.
PVA is a proprietary format of TechnoTrend, created ages ago for SS1 / premium cards, that also provide special hardware support for it, for extremely slow CPUs (200 MHz class). That's obsolete and not even meant to be compatible with non-DVB applications.
You'd have to extract the streams and pack them into a general use container like .mpg for later use.
harriscs wrote:
though still not perfect without remuxing or some other post processsing.
I am going to re-mux with MKVToolnix, because I think that matroska is by far the best file container. But I need smaller filesizes, so I will compress a little. I hope that the resulting file will be OK. BTW, how you compress an audio stream of MP3 @128 Kbps? What will be the quality of the final result if I select eg Vorbis @64 Kbps?
...this pretty much depends on content, recompressing method, tool quality, stereo mode (joint stereo need a bit less data), VBR and on-the-fly or single or two pass..

And of course professional soft- or even hardware should give better results than home brew stuff, normally...
harriscs wrote:
I am not interested in real-time transcoding. I want the best possible capture (regardless of the filesize) in the first step and in a second step I want to compress in the way I want (codecs, bitrates etc), like I was doing with my analogue TV captures.
Sure.
If you think HDD (or DVD) space still to expensive these days...
harriscs wrote:
I know that. I never said or asked something like that.
See above:
harriscs wrote:I am not sure if this is only for analog sources
harriscs wrote:Yes, I had thought that maybe what I was asking has to do only with analogue sources.
Now, is it just me, being irritated a tiny little bit right now ;)
My signature:

Please read here:
On Bug Reports And Other Complaints
and there:
BOARD RULES - READ THIS!

I don't give support by e-mail or PM.

And I will never assist on PayTV hacking.
PM ME FOR THIS AND YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY, WITHOUT ANY WARNING!!!

NEVER EVER DARE TO CONTACT ME FOR PRO VERSION ISSUES!
I am not responsible for that.
Check the 'Activation' section.

Please keep it in English here, or Russian in the Russian section, or German in the German section.

I don't read nor write Klingonian or any other language than English and German.
Addressing me personally in any exotic language will be treated as severe insulting! Be warned!!!

1.)AMD Phenom II x4 940, GA-MA770-UD3, 8 GB DDR2-6400. 7 Pro SP1 x64 + XP Pro SP3 x86
DVB-S2: Cynergy S2 USB HD
2.)P4 3200 i865G (F-S Scenic W600pwr) XP Pro SP3
DVB-S: hauppauge WinTV Nexus-S rev. 2.2, driver TT 2.19h, hardware mode

19.2°,13°,28.x°E,30°W, DiSEqC 1.0

Auf Deutsch:
DVB-Cube <<< Das deutsche DVB-Forum >>>