storage access problem on nvidia shield

been using progtv android beta for long time. recently it seems program cannot access storage, although it is enabled in settings. program crashes under every player except if engine is set to exoplayer. in settings under timeshift it wont navigate to storage directories, it gives me only /data/user0/... or /Android/data/progdvb directories only, not the usual directories in emulate storage. consequently players open with brief message about failure to create buffer and program exits. same problem when creating new souce, it can't navigate to .txt files in my storage area. this all was fine until very recently. i believe it is something do with the shield itself, i was wondering if anyone had any solution. i am unable to use record feature or any thing having to do with accessing normal storage. seems like a permissions issue. any help appreciated

Re: storage access problem on nvidia shield

this is on latest shield, android 9 (pie). i have not checked on sdcard or usb. this is in the internal storage. i have a look with usb storage plugged in. this shield has no sdcard. but it crashes immediately upon playing anything unless you select exoplayer as 'engine'. i am not sure if that is the timeshift not being created or just a general 'buffer' file that is being sought that can't get permission.

Re: storage access problem on nvidia shield

yes that is path. when set to from file it gives 'error failed to create buffer'. and cannot select path to storage away from that folder. now will work if set from memory. i am now able to play codec other than exoplayer without crash. it will only offer other option for timeshift from file for /Android/data/com.progdvb../files/Record. Before could select regular storage directories. However after i created directory for 'Record' it now will create the file and not give that message and i can pause. So i am all good now. I am not sure what i did to allow it to play under other codec options from progengine options. It also will record and store in Downloads directory.